September 03, 2007

Pulitzer Prize Winning Dramas

Year in USA entry 2:

As everyone else in my immediate and extended family immerse themselves in American Football,
especially College football,
well even more specifically UCLA football,

I've hunkered down with a GRAND OBSESSION for myself:

Reading the Pulitzer Prize winning dramas
I've not yet had the chance to read or see.


So, my INPUT strength has kicked in full force and I've just taken most of the day to compile a list with links to the best descriptions I could find for now. (See the link underlined above, it's pretty nifty...well, if you're as nuts as I am about theatre).

A few days ago, when I got the inspiration, I made my first visit to our local library.

The Central Branch of the Pasadena Public Library is one of the magnificent 1920's buildings of downtown Pasadena. It has tremendously high ceilings, reading tables with pull string-green shaded lamps, dark wood paneling, crown molding, and carved quotes of literary masters surrounding the grand main hall. Each room of the library is a place I'd like to spend hours hunkered down in a chair or wandering the stacks.

Of the 6 I checked out the first one I tackled was THREE TALL WOMEN by Albee. Finished it last night. Really amazing. Genius. You come to find out in the second act that the three women of the first, aged in their 20's, 50's and 90's, are actually the SAME WOMAN who are getting to know one another just before she dies.

I seem to be on a roll with plays about aging. Before this Pulitzer quest, I read a play from my library that I've been intending to read since an old friend David Calkins gave me a copy of the script more than 15 years. ago. Though it didn't win a pulitzer I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER it should be better known. It is also a powerful play about growing old and father/son relationships. (It was produced off-broadway in 2003 and made into a movie in 1970)

So, what do you think of my obsession?
Anyone interested in joining me in reading some of the best American plays ever written?

No comments: