August 16, 2005

For Nagasaki & Hiroshima

It wasn't the time or place LAST MONDAY AFTERNOON, August 8, 2005 to make my apology to the Japanese people. But I will do it now, and then I'll tell you a story from that day.

My dear Japanese brothers and sisters,
Even though it was not my hands that did the killing, I know that the Japanese people have suffered much because of the devastation of the atomic bombs dropped on the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki 60 years ago. For the moment, I want to put all the history aside about the whys and whats and what ifs of that terrible war. For now, I want to say to you that we have not mourned with you the great devastation those bombs brought to the people of your country.

You have had to live with the shame and after effects of putting your country back together. While people around the world were relieved and happy that the war was finally over and countries were being freed of Japanese occupation, your people were mourning the deaths and wounds and sicknesses of so many civilians as a result of those atomic bombs. Since you were the "bad guys," the world has had little empathy for the innocent in your country who have suffered.

You, like myself, are from a new generation who did not participate in this war, yet I know that many of you have wounds and hurts that have been passed on to you as a result of the war. I have been insensitive toward your wounds, both physical and emotional, and as an American, I apologize that it was America who delivered those wounds to you. I am sorry for the pain you have endured because of the way the pacific side of World War II ended in Japan.

I am truly sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in hiroshima, now.
Thank you and right, so many people is still suffering from atomic-bomb.
Though, I think most of citizen don't hate u.s.
Just we do want all of people on the earth to know what "peace" is.
So we have to speak of this tragedy to prevent further tragedies, to make the world no one have this experience.
It is not right to kill human for your government or oil or arms merchant.

Everyone have to have beautifl future.
The past is history for great furure.
don't take the life.