September 16, 2004

What I Found in Sydney

Can you imagine a school where art students are also passionate about following Jesus? Can you imagine a school where the faculty and administration all share the conviction, that the creative arts are a gift from God; a gift which must be celebrated?

Imagine such a school where those who sense a creative call from the Lord can go to explore and develop as artists. Does a school dedicated to affirming and equipping graduates to practice their craft both in the marketplace as well as in ministry sound like a dream?

For an artist who follows Jesus, it’s a dream come true.


At the invitation of their President, Dr. David Johnston, I recently visited Wesley Institute for Ministry & the Arts in Sydney Australia. I wanted to see for myself that such a place does exist! I enjoyed a week of mixing with students of various disciplines and soaking up the creative excitement and “vibe” on their delightful campus just a few minutes drive from downtown Sydney. It’s a place where they obviously take both their art and their Lord seriously! In the world of Christian Higher Education, especially in the arts, I think what is available at Wesley is a little known secret.

Time to let the word out!


When I returned from my visit, I spent some time looking again at their website. If you're considering higher education that merges your faith and art, consider Wesley. I'd love to have had the opportunity to study in a place like this!

No comments: