February 16, 2013

Speaking with Journalists: What informs my art...



A few months a I was having dinner with a visual artist. How does one talk about their strong faith with a most probably godless journalist? I had fun writing a little monologue for her afterward.

When Donna is questioned about what informs or inspires her art...here's what I picture sweet Donna saying:

Can I be honest without you getting offended? You see it's easier for me to not really answer. to be vague. It's ...safer.

No matter what one's religion, The world sees artists as prophets that speak to the soul. Don't you think that humankind, no matter what one's spiritual inclinations are, sees artists as somewhat prophetic? Of course you do.

Yes, but some kinds of Spirituality is acceptable, and others ...can make an artist an instant paraiah. 
Religious subjects like The Kama sutra on sanskrit on any surface is fascinating or...or...[other examples]  

Then, you have my, Donna's, virgins in a botanic garden...and they perhaps spark curiosity and hopefully respect.  
That is, as long as I talk about my themes in broad sweeping general stokes. 
What if I admitted to you that the Virgjn Mary in those intricately cut gardens are rife with specific meaning for me about promise and hope, and submission and even virginity? Oh dear.
No. I fear you will not be truly tolerant. 
Not tolerant toward a "serious artist" who takes Jesus for who he claimed to be, or who also believes in a perfect, holy, just and magnificent God who can be known and experienced in a personal way. 
Are you bristling yet? 
Are you already trying in your mind to figure out how you'll reframe my answer in your article? 
If not, If you can take it; then here you go: 
(Even if it means career suicide to admit that.)"

[Then don't directly answer the question. change the subject, ask another question first]For better or worse, we sense that art speaks on a different plane. in in both the making and the viewing...art engages our soul...or whatever you want to call that part of us that is inside and is more than our brain because it stirs up something transcendent. Don't you think?[wait..wait]what 'informs my work' is an unshakable confidence in a knowable God and his great love and justice and mercy. Because of his worthiness, I approach my art as I do everything in life: I try to submit my will to his will, however he wants to work in and inspire me, my work and my life. Then I asked my husband James' advice. He is infinitely wiser than I am. (I didn't tell him specifics of our conversation, but his first comment was something like, "Donna's a smart capable and articulate woman. She probably has this more figured out than most!")

With anyone in media who might twist your words, don't use labels to describe yourself. Labels let others define what the label means. avoid using the word "Christian." 
"Art is deeply spiritual, and my spirituality is important to me. I pray for inspiration and I feel God leading me in how I move forward." (What you probably already say!!)
On Morality specifically: "Every system of belief had their own standard of what's right and wrong. So, I also let the God of the Bible shape my moral opinions more than society. Sometimes that puts me in an awkward dissonance with popular opinion and the lifestyles of my colleagues."
Try and create as winsome a reply as you can without compromise. 

No comments: