January 21, 2013

On the Movie: Les Miserables

I'm still ruminating over the movie version of Claude-Michel Schönberg's LES MISERABLES. I saw it this afternoon. I sat next to my mother-in-law who was seeing it for the first time and she wept through most of the 2 hours and 40 minutes. She was undone. 

I was reminded for the first time in a long while how much this story and these songs have shaped my life values and convictions. While we are living on this earth, the victims of temporal suffering and evil need hope that this isn't all there is. 

 "Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me? Somewhere beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?" 

 I told my 16 year old, who was thumbs down after the credits had begun to roll, that "this movie is a big reason why I chose a career of volunteer service in Christian ministry." (I also told him, as he complained about it just being 'wrong' that his favorite action actors were singing through an entire movie, to not say another word. Well, actually, I think what I really said was, "Shut up and stop proving how small minded and shallow you still are.") 

That Bishop welcomed the homeless to his table. The Bishop made his generous offer of the silver candlesticks and told the thief "I have bought your soul for God." Jean Valjean, the thief wrestles with how to continue in his stone hearted life. 

The heart of anger born of despair chooses the hope of God's ability to make him a better man. 

I want to be that Bishop. 

To be generous in forgiveness. To offer hope. To speak genuine positivity that breeds courage. Even in the face of hardness and opposition. I want to stand firm in my belief that affirming and serving others is a costly but worthwhile way to invest my life. 

Even when it's toward my 16 year old who dares to mock such inspiration.

No comments: