January 29, 2008

International Worship Symposium

A little church in Pasadena has been doing this conference for something like 33 years. Taking it all over USA and to a few countries too, they now just stay at home and let the 700+ delegates come to them every year. This time around I got in on it.  Went all by my lonesome to experience loads of dancing and flags and mime and banners and artists doing paintings during worship. My favourite quote from my notes is: "The main event of church is not the 'worship' or the 'sermon,' but is is the presence of God among his people." (Vivien Hibbert) and on John 4 regarding worshipping in Spirit AND truth, "Some 'prophets' are not much more than wandering fortune tellers in the name of Jesus. But on the other side, there are others who are so afraid of experience, and that they might do something wrong, that in their worship and life of faith, they've turned to stone." (Jim Gilbert)

I met Charlene Rice, a visual artist who was exhibiting her Worship Thru Art there. She was one of the highlights. After talking to her the first time she started calling me "Singapore Jazz." She has an interesting new ministry: she posts videos of her process in painting - with a fun a quirky message about following Jesus. Bought one of her posters and she threw in this one, "On a Mission," for free:

I went to sessions to learn Messianic folk/praise dancing. Loved the couple who were teaching! Bought a couple of their training videos and they threw in one for free. Met up with the couple who now run the school started by Todd & Marilyn Farley called Mimeistry. I've showed some of their pieces (via video) in classes I've taught before. Very disciplined and skilled in their craft, they have students who come study with them for 3 years full time!

All in all it was pretty amazing and refreshing and a little weird. Many of the participants were like hippies...free spirited types, if you know what I mean. Lots of people walking around in layers of flowing skirts or trailing vests with wreaths in their hair. Some of it was a little goofy for me to join in with them. But that's what's beautiful about it - they can just be like children before the Lord and not worry about looking foolish - so I admired it). Since i had gone on my own alone, and most of them seemed to know one another for years, or came with friends, I was still more of an outsider and observer. Many times I watched the flags and people down front dancing freely and it felt like heaven.

I went the last day to have some "healing prayer," which was really sweet. I was really ministered to by these strangers that would pray in the Spirit for my needs and specifically my request: to completely trust without doubting in God's goodness from the core of my heart. The themes that came out of their prayers were "Declaring the positive things God has done." "Labor to enter his rest." and "Sing to me, Dance with me."

Then another that was most amazing: "He will give you a nugget of Gold that will be the revelation or remembrance you need to surrender to knowing his love without a doubt."
The very same day I was choosing a song to sing for a missions event. I had decided to not sing a Christian song, but a showtune called GOLD, from "Camille Claudel." To me, "the Gold" is what we have when we know we are in God's will, and in doing it, we sense his great delight, are filled with joy and get a taste of "heaven on earth."

I've changed just a few words, but here are the lyrics I hope to sing in two weeks:

I wonder if when all is done
Anyone heard my voice
But from the start we have no choice
Our journeys just begin

Lord tell me did I do what's right?
Did I fight hard enough?
When the battles grew too rough
Should I have given in? (No)

So here I stand and swear to you
I did the best that I could do...

I know my voice was just a whisper
But someone may have heard
There were nights the moon above me stirred,
And let me grab a hold
My hands have touched the gold

My hearts been driven by extremes
Blind with dreams, tight with fear
But still God knows he put me here
And I've been so alive

And I can lay the past to rest
And in the end I'll do my best

You have to live the life you're given
And never close your eyes
You hold on, and stare into the sky,
And burn against the cold
For any moment, you might find the gold!

And there was joy
Through it all
And I am standing tall

I know my voice was just a whisper
But someone must have heard
There were nights the moon above me stirred,
And let my light take hold
I rode across that sky
And once I touched the gold

Here in my own two hands
I have held the gold

here's a YouTube promo video for Mimeistry:

No comments: