November 01, 2007

Moved a backburner idea to the front and turned up the flame:


Only a couple weeks ago I started working on the infancy of a devised theatre project called:

Alternate Endings: Reinventing the Past.


For now it's just a personal writing exercise to help me heal from some of the things of long ago that are still hang ups. But if this continues to take shape, and the Lord keeps giving me a passion for it, I think it may grow into a fusion of a Playback & Devised Theatre piece for helping artists and audiences shake off their baggage.

During my week in Estes Park Colorado (CRM Women of Influence Mentoring Retreat, Oct 20-25) I shared the idea with a therapist with CRM, and another older woman/mentor in CRM and both were very encouraging to move forward with it and see how the Lord leads. If nothing else, it's sure a great exercise for me.

What I'm doing is writing a synopsis of an unhappy event in my life that I didn't process well - A time when I didn't know what to do with the emotions or hurt and never really have been able to put it to rest. After the synopsis, I pray over how it could have turned out differently. Not necessarily to change the painful experience, but to change the conversations surrounding it, and my responses in the face of it. Then I write out a scene giving voices and reality to this 'alternate ending.' This script then can become a part of my memory, and I've found that it has almost immediately given me complete closure over that situation.

Have you any pain in your past that has become a roadblock to your growth or emotional and spiritual or even physical health? If you like to write, try it! Let me know how it goes!

No comments: