April 07, 2006

The Need of More Mentors for Artists

In my "non-programmatic style of mentoring"
here are some comments I gave in a recent interview for createlevoyage.com

I think the networking of spiritual mentors for artists in Singaore has already started at a very grassroots level. Dawn's idea of LightUp! (networking artist mentors) was good but was not a felt need among those potential mentors. It seems to me that many potential mentors have never had the opportunity to be mentored - or coached - so they don't see how valuable a gift
this is to the younger generation. Most people, almost all people, feel like they're still trying to figure it out, and don't feel like they've got much to offer. But simply knowing how to ask good questions and help people discover answers on their own is a powerful influence on lasting life change and growth. In the past 2 years I've been concentrating a lot on learning about coaching and mentoring with the CRM model, Bobby Clinton and others.

Last year I participated in a Pastor's Mentoring Network (Focused Leaders) that my husband Jim does with pastors and C leaders in the marketplace. I'm hoping that I'll soon get a chance to adapt these wonderful life on life tools for right brained artists like myself and be able to share it with our community. Praying about that. In any case, whether it's through CRM Singapore, or other avenues, I sense that some of these older artists will get a chance to be mentored in the near future, so that they can get passionate about being an understanding and wise coach to the next generation of leaders.

No comments: